|>> Return to Job Search|
Controller Baker Lake 111303
||Controller Baker Lake 111303|
||Qulliq Energy Corporation|
Location: Baker Lake, Nunavut
Entrusted with supplying safe, reliable and efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut, through both traditional and alternative sources, our Energy Corporation offers many opportunities for those seeking to convert their skills and expertise into professional success. Sounds like you? Join our team! Wide-open spaces, rewarding work in a variety of settings, and the chance to contribute to the well-being of all Nunavummiut will bring new energy to your career – now and in the future.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), the Controller will oversee all financial accounting and reporting activities, which will include leading the day-to-day Finance operations and managing a team of staff accountants and analysts. As the Controller in this highly collaborative role, you will be involved in supporting presentations to the Board and the Office of the Auditor General of Canada, and work closely with the senior management team and their staff in support of our organization’s initiatives and priorities, implementing enhancements and controls to financial systems as required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Ensuring the timely preparation and integrity of the financial statements and related information, in accordance with Canadian public sector accounting standards;
- Coordinating and managing budget processes, including planning, forecasting, development and allocation, reporting and analysis;
- Being accountable for appropriate policies required to meet external and internal reporting requirements, ensuring compliance with rules and regulations
- Liaising with financial institutions for the procurement of financial capital through credit facilities and debt issuances, including reporting requirements;
- Directing and coordinating debt financing and debt service payments with external financial agencies and the Government of Nunavut;
- Liaising with the Internal Auditor, Board Audit Committee, and Board Finance Committee, and with external auditors to ensure timely completion of interim and year-end audits;
- Together with the CFO, establishing the mission and goals for Finance in support of our organization’s strategic plan;
- Mentoring and developing staff using a supportive, collaborative approach, assigning accountabilities, setting objectives, establishing priorities, and managing performance evaluation; and
- Promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- Professional designation as an accountant with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration;
- At least 5 years of relevant senior-level work experience;
- Integrity, credibility, and a track record as a proactive, hands-on strategic thinker who will be committed to our mission and will own, in partnership with the CFO, the responsibility for Finance;
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, loans and investments;
- Technology expertise with experience in selecting and overseeing financial software installations in cooperation with the Director of Information Technology, and managing relationships with software vendors;
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software;
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training and retaining a diverse team, and ability to delegate;
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills, allowing for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and experience in communicating key data effectively, including presentations to senior management, boards or outside partners; and
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts for individuals at all levels, including finance and non-finance managers.
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including a Northern Living Allowance per annum and relocation assistance. Salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. This position is excluded from the Nunavut Employees Union.
Preference will be given to beneficiaries of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement.
All qualified candidates are invited to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Keywords: CGA, CMA, CPA, chartered accountant, certified public accountant, certified management accountant, Kivalliq Region, Nunavut
Qulliq Energy Corporation - View All Jobs From Qulliq Energy Corporation
Headquartered in Baker Lake, Qulliq Energy Corporation (QEC) is committed to supplying safe, reliable and
efficient energy to the citizens of Nunavut. We generate electricity under the trade name of Nunavut Power, and
research alternative energy options in order to meet the long-term needs for power of all Nunavummiut.