||General Manager - Concrete Formworks Saskatoon 106987|
General Manager, Western Canada
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
We are assisting our client to hire an experienced General Manager for its Western Canadian operations. This position is based in Edmonton, Alberta. We require a seasoned construction-industry executive to keep our client moving forward on an aggressive growth track. The General Manager, Western Canada brings to customers direct experience in the delivery of complex concrete forming and shoring and scaffolding solutions, products and services.
The General Manager, Western Canada is responsible for the development, implementation and execution of a strategic plan for business development and revenue growth for the concrete forming and shoring and commercial scaffolding businesses respectively in Western Canada. The focus is on servicing existing customers as well as on increasing market-share of the commercial and heavy/civil infrastructure construction markets and of the commercial-scaffolding market. The position reports to the Vice President, Construction who is located in New Jersey, USA.
The General Manager, Western Canada has sales management and business development responsibility over a sales organization consisting of Area Sales Managers and Sales Representatives. This role involves developing the sales team and its capabilities to evaluate, estimate, bid, and secure complex concrete forming and shoring opportunities and commercial projects.
The position has overall P&L responsibility for Western Canada and so the successful candidate must have experience balancing revenue growth and expenses to achieve operating profitability.
Our client's is committed to health and safety. That means the General Manager, Western Canada, working in conjunction with the District’s safety management and within the company's safety framework, is responsible for and drives safety best practices with the goal of continuously reducing accidents, near-misses, and lost-time incidents. Our client places high importance on safety performance as a means of increasing the company’s competitive advantage in its major markets.
- Primary responsibility for growing our client's share of its construction markets and increasing backlog and revenues in Western Canada through sales and new business development. This includes new areas of revenue growth such as construction labour services for forming and shoring and commercial scaffolding and expanding the company’s heavy/civil market share and customer base.
- Owns the P&L for Western Canada. This includes managing the revenue and operating profit plan, and participating in frequent planning and forecasting meetings with senior management in line with business and company requirements.
- Develops and implements a strategic business plan for Western Canada that provides clear objectives and direction in terms of sales goals and market penetration. Assists in developing the company’s capabilities to deliver services that achieve high customer satisfaction and attain necessary internal operating margins. The regional business plans are integrated into the overall strategic and tactical planning and are subject to review and approval by upper management.
- Is available 24/7 for urgent issues related to customer requirements, emergency situations or general requirements of the company. The position involves frequent travel (30-50% of the GM’s time) within North America and occasionally abroad.
- Overall responsibility for evaluating and approving contracts, proposals, appropriations and expenditure requests submitted by customers and subordinates.
- Communicates frequently and effectively at all levels to achieve necessary transparency for senior managers. Resolves issues in a matrix organization promptly and maturely.
- Ensures compliance with all company policies and the Code of Conduct and internal control framework.
- A minimum of 10 years management experience in construction general management, or in sales management or business development in the construction industry. Experience in a matrix-based management structure is preferred.
- A background and demonstrated success in developing and implementing complex concrete-forming and shoring solutions in the commercial concrete market is essential.
- A degree in business, sales, marketing, construction management or related field.
- Solid record of revenue and profit growth in the concrete forming and shoring market. The ability to manage to P&L commitments on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Leadership capabilities in line with responsibilities with upward growth potential for greater responsibilities within the company in 3-5 years.
- Self-motivated; highly driven to build teams for winning results. Bias towards change and action.
- Capability to work through and resolve issues efficiently with mature judgement and behaviour.
- Superior skills in terms of hiring and motivating top sales talent; effective evaluation and development of a sales force to achieve maximum effectiveness in the company's market.
- Ability to analyze and interpret competitors’ actions and react with effective and timely actions to increase our client's market share. A thorough understanding of industry technical data, market trends and customers’ requirements (e.g., RFP, RFQs).
- Strong communication skills including the ability to present information effectively and respond to questions in small and large group environments.
- Fundamental risk-management acumen.
- Experience managing yard, equipment fulfillment, logistics and warehouse operations is a definite asset.
- Solid background in health and safety including knowledge of provincial safety requirements, and accident and injury prevention.
Our client is offering an excellent salary and bonus package, including medical/dental benefits, and the potential for career advancement.
Please note that this position is located in Edmonton, AB. Assistance with relocation expenses is also offered if required.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter.
We thank all who apply, but only candidates whose experience most closely matches our client’s requirements will be contacted.
Keywords: concrete forming, concrete shoring, complex commercial scaffolding, construction-heavy /civil / commercial, general managers, construction manager, construction managers, construction management, sales manager, business development, Ontario, ON, York, Etobicoke, Scarborough, North York, Mississauga, Brampton, Woodbridge, Oakville, Milton, Concord, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham, Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa, Newmarket, Georgetown, Hamilton, Burlington, GTA